Getting Ashura Edit
To get Ashura, the zone select and debug codes must be active. Then, go to one of the two EHZ acts because the glitch only happens in Emerald Hill Zone. When the zone begins, press B. Sonic will be a ring, signifying that debug mode is active. Then, press Template:A four times. Sonic will be four rings in a row going up or down. Then, hold C and Template:Right for about 5 seconds, then go back to the beginning and keep pressing A until Sonic is the top of a waterfall. Sonic or an item may not be visible, but Sonic is still there. Again, hold C and RIGHT for about five seconds. Then press B and Sonic will be Ashura, or, green Sonic.
Dispelling Ashura Myths Edit
While there is no known reason why the glitch was named Ashura, the leading theory says that it has something to do with a Hindu god who also shares the black stripe and green body. Ashura is not a secret character or anything special in Sonic 2, however. It is merely a glitch.
Though only a palette glitch, Ashura is one of the four characters possible in Yuski the Dog's SMS ROM hack, Sonic vs. Os Mauniks. Ashura was even hacked into Sonic R  and Sonic Heroes . Also, there is a way to get an "Ashura"-esque Chao in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle; it is the dark/run Shadow the Hedgehog Chao. Additionally, Ashura is the titular co-villain in the fan-made game Ashura Dark Reign.
- When Ashura is hit by an enemy, Sonic's blue legs are shown.
- If you pause quickly while transforming into Super Ashura, he looks like Shadow the Hedgehog.
- When Sonic turns into Ashura, his life icon changes to Ashuras.
- There is a glitch in the prototype where you can get stuck in the walls.
- Ashura is very popular in places like Smack Jeeves.
- After Ashura loses his Super Form, Sonic's pallete comes back.
- Fans say Ashura looks like Scourge for the following reasons: They are both green hedgehogs. They are the result of a 'Sonic' undergoing a 'glitched' transformation. Ashura's black forehead looks like Scourge's crown.
- You can change Ashura's colors like an Ashura with red or orange highlights in his quills, along with blue eyes and a blue outline by moving around after the life icon changes to look like Ashura.
- After doing the Ashura glitch, almost everything changes color; the animals, the robots, etc.
- Some fans have tried to do the Ashura glitch in other Sonic games like Sonic the Hedgehog, or Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
- Also, fans have used hacks to make Sonic look like Ashura in the 3D games like Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Heroes, etc.